Tips for Keeping Your Home Warm in Winter
Follow These Tips to Stay Warm This Winter
Here in New Jersey, we may have almost forgotten what the winter months can be like, with warm temperatures lasting so far into the year! But for those of you who are up bright and early, you have surely felt the frigid morning temperatures sneaking in. There are a few tips for keeping your home warm in winter that we hope will help you out. These tips will also save you money on your heating bill by putting less strain on your heating system. So, onto the tips!
- Seal any leaky windows. Drafty windows can allow large amounts of cold outside air into your home, making your heating system work extra hard. This can be done easily with a window sealing kit. See example here or at your local hardware store.
- Make sure your attic and other areas are insulated. While this makes for a bit larger of a project, having adequate insulation is a huge factor in keeping your home warm. And remember, heat rises; so if you have an attic that loses a lot of heat, you could be wasting a lot of money every month.
- Reverse the direction that your ceiling fans spin if it has dual- direction capability. In the winter, your fan should be rotating clockwise if you stand under it and look up. This will push the warmer air down towards the floor.
- If there is unused space in your home, such as a guest room, close it off. You can close any vents in this room and keep the door closed. Just make sure there isn’t a large amount of cold air leaking out – if there is, you can place a rolled up towel under the door to prevent this.
- Keep curtains or drapes open during the day to allow sunlight in. This can increase the temperatures in those rooms by a couple degrees and put less strain on your heating system.
By far, the best thing you can do to make sure your home is warm and ready for winter is to invest in a Meyer & Depew Maintenance Agreement.
As part of the Meyer & Depew Heating Maintenance Agreement, you will receive a comprehensive heating tune-up. This heating tune-up will make sure your heating system is operating at maximum efficiency, as well as extend the life of your system. In addition, we will include a new 1″ filter (if applicable) which also helps to ensure the effectiveness of your heating system while extending its life.
For all the benefits of a Heating Maintenance Agreement, click here or call us at 908-272-2100.